Monday, August 19, 2013

August 19: Saint John Eudes


History

Saint John Eudes grew up on a farm in France and became a priest. He did a lot of good things, but one of his most important works was starting seminaries to help train new priests. He started seminaries in four different towns. He also helped start the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Activity

Seminaries are very important to the Church because this is where men are trained to be good, holy priests. Every diocese in the world needs to have at least one man studying for the priesthood every year, and most seminaries are starting classes very soon. Write thank-you notes to each of your diocese’s seminarians (enclosing a Sacred Heart of Jesus prayer card if you wish) and pray for them. Then, as a family, pray this prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
O most holy heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore you, I love you, and with lively sorrow for my sins I offer you this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your will. Grant, Good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you. Protect me in the midst of danger. Comfort me in my afflictions. Give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death. Amen.


Saint John Eudes, pray for us!


More reading for parents:

American Catholic

No comments:

Post a Comment